Keto Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
Cilantro lime cauliflower rice is a quick and simple low carb side dish recipe full of flavour, with chopped jalapenos, onions, garlic, fresh cilantro, cumin, and lime juice.
Just 7g net carbs per serving, keto cilantro lime rice, is on the table in under 30 minutes.
Be sure to pair this with my Peri Peri chicken!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost or effort to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.
SHARE THIS NOW.
SERIOUSLY, DO IT.
Why You Will Love This Keto Side Dish
- Simple and straightforward, this one pan cauliflower rice dish is ready in under 30 minutes
- Full of exciting flavours this cauliflower rice variation is a much needed break from plain cauliflower rice
- Very low in net carbs with only 7g per serving, this recipe is low carb, Atkins, keto and also vegetarian friendly. A side dish recipe that adds just as much flavour to your plate as your main course
What You Need To Know
What You Need: Foil Lined Baking Sheet
Oven Temperature: 400°F [205°C]
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
You know its done when: The top layer has crispy brown bits.
A Deeper Dive
The simplest way to get cauliflower rice is to buy it from the store pre-riced.
You can find this with the other frozen vegetables, or if you are lucky, your local grocer will have and prepared in house in the deli or salad bar area.
If you are eating a lot of cauliflower rice, then its the most economical to make it yourself.
3 Ways to Make Cauliflower Rice
Use a food processor (Recommended):
Many food processors come with various grating discs which can be used to make perfect cauliflower rice very quickly.
Install the larger disc in the food processor and break down the head of cauliflower into florets small enough to fit through the chute on the processor lid.
Feed the chunks into the processor, and press down with the plunger. The spinning disc chops perfect rice every time. If you are making lots of cauliflower rice regularly like myself, then a food processor with a grating disc is a worthwhile purchase.
The regular blade can be used to break down cauliflower as well, just don’t chop it too fine or it will become mush.
This food processor is great for making low carb cauli rice!
A simple cheese grater, sometimes called a box grater can make quick work of a full head of cauliflower. Simply break the head into manageable chunks and grate it using the larger holes on a grater.
If nothing else, you can use a regular knife to make cauliflower rice. Simply chop the cauliflower into very small rice sized pieces with repeated passes of a large knife until the cauliflower is small enough.
Before I had a food processor, this is how I made cauliflower rice all the time.
Turn up (or Down) the Heat!
The spice level of this dish is determined by the jalapenos. For full spice chop the jalapeno and add to the dish as is.
To lower the spice level of the jalapenos, slice in half lengthwise, then using a small paring knife or a spoon, scoop out all the seeds and white membrane, this is where most of the heat lies.
Wash your hands well, the oils from the pepper can sting if you rub your eyes even hours later!
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice (Keto/Low Carb)
- Knife and Cutting Board
- food processor or cheese grater
- large deep frying pan
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large cauliflower or ready-made cauliflower rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil/butter
- 3 large jalapeno sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup lime juice from 2 fresh limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using fresh cauliflower, rice using one of the methods outlined in the post above (food processor, box grater, knife).
- Heat butter/olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sliced onions, cumin, and garlic, fry for 2-3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Next add in riced cauliflower and sliced jalapenos, combine well. Season liberally with salt and fry for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower rice is tender and slightly al dente. Stir occasionally and add butter/olive oil as needed to prevent burning.
- Right before serving, stir in fresh cilantro and lime juice, season to taste.
What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
This recipe makes a great side dish alongside grilled chicken or pork. It also pairs well with other meats like kebabs or fish.
Anywhere you would normally serve rice as a side dish is an excellent choice for this recipe.
With so many flavours borrowed from Mexican cuisine, this recipe is a perfect choice for keto burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and low carb burrito bowls!
Of course this recipe can also be served as a fully low carb vegetarian dish as well.
I Know You'll Love These Keto Recipes too!
4 Tips to Master This Recipe
- Season liberally to ensure that the flavours aren’t muted. Plain cauliflower rice needs lots of salt to bring out the flavours. It also helps draw out water which improves consistency
- Don’t overcook it. You really only need to cook this until the cauliflower rice is tender enough to enjoy. Over cooking will turn it to mush, and undercooking will result in a mouthful of raw grated cauliflower. Taste as you go, and cook to your liking, it doesn’t take long
- Use the freshest herbs and produce you can find. These ingredients are the backbone of the flavours in this recipe so use the best limes, jalapenos, and cilantro
- Add fresh cilantro and lime juice right at the end before serving, too much cooking with ruin the flavours of these ingredients