Easy Creamy Greek Coleslaw (Low carb | Keto)
A quick and simple coleslaw topped like a Greek salad in a creamy homemade dressing.
Less than 5g net carbs per serving! This coleslaw is a perfect a low carb side salad or for summer BBQ, picnics, and potlucks.
Hand-cut cabbage, thin slices of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta, red onions, and Kalamata olives in a creamy homemade dressing full of fresh cut herbs and garlic similar to a Greek dressing.
Pair this recipe with these low carb lemon chicken kebabs!
Share this now!
Seriously do it.
This recipe is based on the Greek salad my Mother used to make when I was a kid.
While a traditional Greek salad features more of a vinaigrette, this coleslaw has a creamy dressing packed with the same great herbs and flavours.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Dead simple to make and ready in no time
- All the flavours of a Greek salad in a low carb coleslaw
- Cabbage coleslaw makes great leftovers and doesn’t get soggy in the fridge
- 4.7g net carbs per serving makes this a keto friendly side dish
- Easy to make in large batches for entertaining, BBQ’s, potlucks, or picnics
What is in a Creamy Greek Coleslaw
- Hand Cut/Shredded cabbage
- Red onion
- Green Pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
Creamy Greek Dressing:
- Sour cream/greek yogurt
- Lemon Juice
- Red Wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
What You Need to Know
Below is a deeper dive into the steps and preparation for this recipe. If you want to skip ahead to make this coleslaw now, use the button below to jump straight to the recipe card.
Preparing the Coleslaw mix
This is fairly straightforward, you simply need to clean and slice all the vegetables to your liking.
Hand-cutting the Cabbage
For hand-cut cabbage I find it’s best to remove the loose outer leaves of the cabbage and cut them into thin strips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches [3.5 to 5 cm] wide. Stack the strips top of one another and use a very sharp knife to slice through the stack taking very thin shaving-like slices.
The inner portion of the cabbage is usually packed tighter and it’s harder to remove the leaves. For this section simply cut away a large chunk of the cabbage, cut into strips and then use your knife to take thin shaving like slices of each strip.
Shredding the Cabbage
This will produce a much finer shred (think grated cheese) on the cabbage similar to what you would find in a deli.
If you are looking for a decent food processor with a grating disc, I have been using this one for a number of years and I love it!
Store-bought Coleslaw Mix
If you want to avoid shredding or cutting the cabbage altogether, or you are in a hurry, you can buy a bag of coleslaw mix from the store and start there!
The base of this dressing is mayonnaise and sour cream. Instead of sour cream you can use plain Greek yogurt.
There are also store-bought creamy Greek salad dressings that can be used when you are in a hurry!
Fresh or Dried Herbs
Whenever possible I choose to use fresh herbs, the flavours are just better.
You can however use dried herbs for this dressing, be sure to cut the measurements in half as dried herbs are much more potent.
Creamy Greek Coleslaw (Low carb)
- Knife and Cutting Board
- food processor or cheese grater optional
- large salad bowl
- 5 cups cabbage shredded
- ½ cup cucumber sliced
- ½ cup tomato chopped
- 1 small red onion sliced
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- ⅔ cup feta cheese cubed/crumbled
Creamy Greek Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oregano chopped
- 4 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Shred the cabbage and slice the vegetables. Using a sharp knife cut the cabbage into strips. Cut across the strips taking thin shaving like slices with the knife. You can also shred the cabbage using a box grater, or the grating disc on a food processor. See recipe post above for further details about hand cutting the cabbage. Slice the cucumber, tomato, red onion, and olives into smaller bite sized pieces.5 cups cabbage
- Combine coleslaw mix. Add the shredded cabbage and sliced vegetables to a large salad bowl and combine well.5 cups cabbage, ½ cup cucumber, ½ cup tomato, 1 small red onion, ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, 1 small green pepper, ⅔ cup feta cheese
- Prepare the dressing. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, minced garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper to a small bowl and combine well.½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup sour cream, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons oregano, 4 tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon rosemary, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dress and toss the coleslaw. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
What to Serve with Creamy Greek Coleslaw
Serve this coleslaw whenever you need a quick low carb summer side dish. We often enjoy coleslaw alongside grilled meats like bunless burgers, kebabs, souvlaki, or sausage.
Grilled meat + coleslaw is a super quick low carb meal that tastes like summer!
Try this coleslaw alongside these low carb recipes!
- Lemon and Summer Herb Chicken Kebabs
- Easy low carb chicken Souvlaki
- Bunless BBQ smash Burgers