Share this now!
Seriously do it.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost or effort to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.
This brownie recipe is a result of literally years of tweaking and experimenting trying to manage chocolate cravings. As a fellow chocoholic I know that struggling with cravings can make sticking to a keto or low carb lifestyle oh so very difficult.
How to make a Keto Brownie in the Microwave in under 5 minutes
Step 1. Add ingredients to mug/ramekin.
Step 2. Mix well.
Step 3. Microwave for 63 seconds.
Profit. Enjoy your brownie.
This keto brownie recipe is designed with ingredients most low carbers will already have on hand making it easy, quick, and convenient.
Cocoa? Cocao? Coco? CooCoo?
Unsweetened cocoa powder. Yes. Depends.
Of course check your labels, but most unsweetened cocoa powders are fine in this quantity. Like anything else, unsweetened cocoa powder is keto friendly, if you are consuming it in reasonable quantities, i.e. don’t eat a pound of it.
Sorry, But this is a Sugar Free Zone
This brownie has no added sugar so why does it taste so damn good!?
It took some experimenting to find a keto friendly sugar substitute that I actually liked, and that I was comfortable consuming. I almost always use a Monk Fruit-Erythritol blend. I think it has the best flavour, consistency, aftertaste, and can be used in quantities very similar to table sugar.
You can try using other keto friendly sweeteners but you may need to experiment with the amount to get the sweetness right. Oh no poor you, you might have to make this brownie more than once!
Rise my Glorious Creation!
No one wants a flat, dense brownie…that’s what cookies are for… Ok that didn’t make sense but you were promised a light fluffy, chocolate brownie so how do we make that happen?
For this we need baking powder and an egg.
The baking powder will create bubbles in the mixture giving you a soft fluffy brownie, and the egg will puff up fast in the microwave and give the brownie some body. Don’t worry, this keto brownie does not taste eggy!
Why 65 Seconds?
It has come a very long way since then, for starters it is no longer cooks in the microwave for 60 seconds, but 63 seconds.
Keto Brownie Pro Tips
This is very hard to mess up. I have stumbled into my apartment after night out and whipped this together in under 5 minutes. It is always delicious….I think.
- Use a dish at least 3 1/2″ [9 cm] in diameter by 2 1/2 [6.5 cm]” deep or it will make a mess!
- Add a pinch of salt
You may think a pinch of salt in dessert recipes doesn’t actually do anything, but trust me, it makes that chocolate flavour just smack you right in the face. And who doesn’t want to be smacked in the face with chocolate goodness?
- Mix well
- Check the brownie for doneness and cook more if needed
- Allow brownie to cool before adding frosting or my personal favourite, peanut butter!
How Many Carbs are in a Keto Mug Brownie?
Fat: 40 g
Net Carbs: 5.3 g
Protein: 13 g
Sodium: 600 mg
Potassium: 350 mg
Magnesium: 100 mg
Calcium: 200 mg
Approximate macro-nutrient values, nutrition may vary depending on ingredients
Make Ahead Tips
What? You don’t need any, this keto mug brownie is start to finish in less than 5 minutes.
Time to Dive in
Something yummy in your inbox
Next time you are craving chocolate. Forget all the sugary crap, and take care of your sweet tooth with a keto friendly 63 second mug brownie instead.
65 Second Keto microwave Mug Brownie
- Microwave safe Mug/Bowl/Ramekin (at least 3.5" (9 cm) Dia. and 2.5" (6.5 cm) deep)
- Measuring spoons
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter melted
- 3 tablespoons (20g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tablespoons (20g) Monk fruit-Erythritol Sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2.5g) baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
In a microwave safe mug/bowl/ramekin
- Melt butter in microwave for 20-30 seconds
- Add remaining ingredients and using a spoon or whisk to mix well into a smooth batter
- Microwave for 65 seconds. Careful the dish gets hot!
- Enjoy with low carb whipped cream, frosting, peanut butter, or just on its own!
- See the post above for some tips and making this recipe
- Make sure you have a properly sized dish or it will make a big mess!
- You can try other sweeteners or other low carb flours, but you may need to experiment to get it right.
Enjoy your keto chocolate treat!